Backing up & moving TOTAL without using Vault
This document shows you how to use the Move Utility to put TOTAL on a new computer.
Document 6510 | Last updated: 02/14/2018 RR2
If you want to skip the hassle of digging for program files and preferences, use our transfer utility to move TOTAL from one machine to another. Your data will remain unchanged on your old computer. All you need is a removable storage device.
There are a few things to keep in mind when using this utility:
- The removable device you use needs enough storage space on it to hold all your reports, as well as your preferences. The Move TOTAL application lets you know how much space you need and how much space is available on your device.
- TOTAL must already be installed on the new machine before transferring your data.
- Both the old and new machines must be on the most recent update before moving data.
- The Move TOTAL utility will not move reports from the Aurora Reports folder in TOTAL's Appraisal Desktop. These reports must be moved to either My Reports or Shared Reports. Click here for instructions to move the reports into TOTAL.
Part 1 — Back Up Your Data
- Plug your removable device into the old PC.
- Press Windows key + R.
(On Mac keyboards, press the Command key instead of the Windows key.)
- In the Open: field, type %tsa6% and click OK.
- Click the Additional Tools tab, from the left–hand column double–click 18. Move to a new PC.
- In the Move TOTAL window, select Back up my old PC.
- Then, click Browse, locate and select your removable device, and click OK.
- Note the space available on your device and the space needed to transfer your data. If the available space on your removable device is less than the space needed, you'll need to use a storage device with a larger capacity. Otherwise, click Start.
Depending on how many photos and reports are being backed up, this process takes anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to complete. If your transfer utility looks "stuck" when it's copying your reports or photos, simply continue to let it run. Rest assured, even if the progress bar appears stalled, your files are actively being copied!
- When it's finished, click Close.
Now, move to your new machine. To continue, print or e‑mail these instructions to yourself, or go to alashort.com/doc6510 on your new machine.
Part 2 — Restore Your Data
- If you haven't already, click the button below to install TOTAL on your new machine. For additional assistance with installing TOTAL, click here.
- Ensure your TOTAL installation on the new machine has the most recent update before continuing. Click here for additional assistance with installing updates.
- Plug in your removable device.
- Browse to the location of your removable device. Locate the Restore TOTAL Data shortcut that was created with your data backup and double‑click it to launch the restore utility.
Keep in mind, restoring your TOTAL settings from the old PC will overwrite any existing TOTAL settings on the new PC. Existing reports on your new PC are moved to the Deleted Items folder in your Appraisal Desktop, and can be restored from there at any time.
- Allow the restore process to complete. Again, depending on the amount of data being restored, this may take some time. When it's finished, click OK.
That's it! Open TOTAL on your new PC and pick up exactly where you left off on your old machine. If you also need to move your labels and preferences for TOTAL Sketch to your new computer, click here.