General instructions for exporting data for Titan Analytics
This document provides general instructions to create an export file from your MLS for use in Titan Analytics.
Document 3003 | Last updated: 03/12/2018 SPB
The first step in using Titan Analytics to generate the 1004MC and analytics addendum is to export market data from your MLS in the form of a CSV file.
Even though there are over 600 MLS boards in the United States, we’ve found most of them use one of a handful of MLS software vendors. If you’re not sure what vendor your MLS uses, check your MLS login screen, the footer, or even the browser URL for something resembling one of the names below. Once you’ve identified the software your MLS uses, click the link below that corresponds to it for instructions on setting up an export template and creating a CSV from your MLS search results.
If you don't see your MLS vendor listed above, continue below for general instructions:
Part I — Create your template (first-time setup)
You only need to create an export template once. After you save it, you can reuse the template each time you export data from your MLS. If you already have a template for Titan Analytics, jump to Part II.
- Log in to your MLS.
- Select the option for Exports. This may be located in an Admin, Preferences, or Settings area of your MLS, or it may be in its own section.
- Select the option for creating a new export. Some MLS software may not have this option. Alternatively, you can edit an existing export template for use with Titan Analytics.
- Enter or edit the name for the export template in the provided export Name field — such as Titan Analytics. If there's an option for selecting the file format at this point, select a comma separated value (CSV). Additionally, include column headers or names and omit any column image options that are displayed here.
- Now, click Save or Next.
- Most MLS software will display a column of available fields and a column of fields already added to your export, and has options for adding, removing, and organizing your selections. Below is the list of required fields that must be included:
It doesn't matter in which order these fields are added. Once the required fields have been added, you can also include any additional fields that might be useful for identifying outliers.
Additionally, the field names listed below won't always be an exact match to the field names listed by your MLS. Titan Analytics knows the different ways an MLS will say Closing Price or Listing Date, for example, and can decipher the data.
- Close Date
- Close Price
- Contract Date
- Distressed (bank owned, foreclosure, etc.)
- Expiration Date
- List Price
- Listing Contract Date
- Listing ID (MLS #)
- Living Area (GLA)
- (Purchase) Pending Date
- Seller Concession Amount
- State or Province
- Status (sold, pending, etc.)
- Street Address
- Total Days on Market
- Withdrawn Date
- ZIP or Postal Code
- When you're finished, review and verify your included fields column. Then, click the option to Finish, or Save.
Part II — Export to file
Once you've saved your export template, use it to export the property data from your MLS search for use in Titan Analytics.
- Log in to your MLS.
- Enter your search criteria as you normally would. Be sure to mark all property statuses you want to include in your data, and include listing and sold properties from at least the last 365 days.
- Review and select the results to include in your export. Then, select the option to Export your data.
- Select the Titan Analytics template you created in step 4 of Part I above. If there's an option for selecting the file format at this point, select a comma separated value (CSV). Then, click Export or Submit.
- Save the export file to a convenient location such as your Windows desktop so that you can easily retrieve it in Titan Analytics.
Part III — Import data
That's it! Your export file is now ready for use. Click here for step-by-step instructions on importing the data in your file to Titan Analytics. Or, click here to view some of the most frequently asked questions about Titan Analytics.