General Instructions for exporting data for the TOTAL MLS Text File import tool
This document provides general instructions to create an export file from your MLS for use in TOTAL's MLS Text File import tool.
Document 6583 | Last updated: 05/10/2017 SPB
The first step in using the TOTAL MLS text import is to export market data from your MLS in the form of a CSV file.
Even though there are over 600 MLS boards in the United States, we’ve found most of them use one of a handful of MLS software vendors. If you’re not sure what vendor your MLS uses, check your MLS login screen, the footer, or even the browser URL. Here are general instructions for exporting your data.
Part I — Create your template (first-time setup)
You only need to create an export template once. After you save it, you can reuse the template each time you export data from your MLS. If you already have a template for TOTAL, jump to Part II.
- Log in to your MLS.
- Select the option for Exports. This may be located in an Admin, Preferences, or Settings area of your MLS, or it may be in its own section.
- Select the option for creating a new export. Some MLS software may not have this option. Alternatively, you can edit an existing export template for use with TOTAL.
- Enter or edit the name for the export template in the provided export Name field — such as TOTAL MLS Export. If there's an option for selecting the file format at this point, select a comma separated value (CSV). Additionally, include column headers or names and omit any column image options that are displayed here.
- Now, click Save or Next.
- Most MLS software displays a column of available fields and a column of fields already added to your export, and has options for adding, removing, and organizing your selections. Below is the list of required fields that must be included:
It doesn't matter in which order these fields are added. Once the required fields have been added, you can also include any additional fields that might be useful.
Additionally, the field names listed below won't always be an exact match to the field names listed by your MLS.
- Attached Garage
- Basement / Below Grade SQFT
- Built-In Garage
- Contract Date
- Data Source (MLS#)
- Detached Garage
- Expiration Date
- Finished SQFT Below Grade
- Full Bathrooms
- Garage SQFT
- Half Bathrooms
- Heating / Cooling
- Sale Price / Closed Price
- Settlement Date
- SQFT / GLA
- Withdraw Date
- Zip / Postal Code
- When you're finished, review and verify your included fields column. Then, click the option to Finish, or Save.
Part II — Export to file
Once you've saved your export template, use it to export the property data from your MLS search for use in TOTAL.
- Log in to your MLS.
- Enter your search criteria as you normally would. Be sure to mark all property statuses you want to include in your data, and include listing and sold properties from at least the last 365 days.
- Review and select the results to include in your export. Then, select the option to export your data.
- Select the TOTAL template you created in step 4 of Part I above. If there's an option for selecting the file format at this point, select a comma separated value (CSV). Then, click Export or Submit.
- Save the export file to a convenient location such as your Windows desktop so that you can easily retrieve it in TOTAL.
Part III — Import data
That's it! Your export file is now ready for use. Click here for step-by-step instructions on creating an MLS Import Template and importing your data in your file to TOTAL. Or, click here to view a short video about the MLS Import tool. For a more comprehensive step-by-step video about importing comparable data using the MLS Import tool, click here.