Downloading and Installing Apex
If you intend to use Apex for sketching, you'll need to download and install it first. This doc will help you do that.
Document 5116 ¦ Last updated: 05/13/2016 JH9
The older versions of Apex (Apex IV v2 and v3) that were integrated with Athena and Aurora only work on PCs with 32-bit Windows Vista or XP. If you have a new PC with Windows 7 or a 64-bit operating system, you won't be able to run Apex IV version 2 or 3. You'll need to purchase Apex v4 Medina or newer (Apex v5 or newer if using TOTAL) or try TOTAL Sketch, which is already installed in TOTAL and WinTOTAL.
To download and install Apex:
- Go to www.alamode.com/myaccount and log in with your a la mode username and password.
- Click the My Downloads link in the section on the left.
- In the list of downloads that appears, find the Apex version you need. For example, if you're using the newer Apex 3 with Aurora, you'd click the Legacy Apex 3 for Aurora link.
- When prompted to Run or Save the file, choose Save and save the file to your Desktop.
- When the download is complete, double-click file on your desktop screen to run the file. If you're prompted about whether you want to Run the file, choose Run.
- Finally, click Install in the installation screen that appears Apex and follow the instructions on screen to install Apex.
The next time you try to draw a sketch, you will be prompted to register Apex. Once the registration is complete, you will be able to use Apex inside of WinTOTAL again. Here are some other important things to keep in mind regarding Apex:
- If you need help registering Apex, click here for document 4821. It will even show you how to unregister Apex on one PC and then re-register it on another.
- In 2006, Apex took over the sales and support of their software. As a result, our staff will not be able to help you with an Apex sketching issue beyond getting it installed and registered. Please contact Apex directly at 888‑308‑2722 for help with using Apex. Note we are not in control of their policies regarding support of their older versions.
- Apex versions 2 and 3 were not designed for Windows 7 or a 64-bit OS, so if you don't have Windows XP, you'll need to call Apex and purchase an upgrade or use our free sketcher.
- For additional Apex troubleshooting, see our FAQ in document 9004.
If you want a sketcher that works with Windows 7, integrates with Aurora or TOTAL, and is supported by our techs, consider TOTAL Sketch. It's free for a la mode customers and even converts your old Apex sketches. It's already included in your copy of WinTOTAL or TOTAL. Also, check out our free mobile apps: http://www.alamode.com/mobile