Billing & Invoicing in Aurora
This document outlines key features of WinTOTAL Aurora's billing and invoicing functions.
Document 5091 ¦ Last updated: 02/15/2017 ACN
Using features built into WinTOTAL, you can easily send invoices to clients, record payments received and view who still has outstanding invoices.
Billing & Invoicing your Clients
The easiest and most common way for customers to send a bill is to add the [Automatic] invoice to the report. When using the invoices tagged with [Automatic], information automatically transfers from the order form and office settings. Here's how to add an invoice into a report:
- Open a report in WinTOTAL and click Contents in the toolbar at the top.
- When the Contents screen appears, scroll through the list of available forms on the left and find and invoice you'd like to use. The most common invoice, the Invoice [Automatic Lgl], is listed in the Most Common Forms & Addenda folder group. You can find the rest of our invoices in the Invoices folder group.
- Once you've found an invoice that suits your needs, double-click it to add it into your report and drag it up to the top of the list of forms in your report on the right.
- Click OK to add the invoice into your report.
Now just finish and deliver your report as usual. The invoice you've added to your report will accompany your appraisal PDF.
How the automatic invoice works
Using "automatic" invoices can save you some formfilling time since they come pre-populated with key invoice information:
- From: fields
- Information entered into WinTOTAL's Office Settings is automatically transfered to the From: fields in the automatic invoice for you. For more information about WinTOTAL's Office Settings feature, click here.
- To: fields
- Quickly add all of your client's information to your invoice using WinTOTAL's Contacts Database. Simply add their contact information to your Contacts database and when you're ready to fill out the To: field, click the contact icon ( ) and choose your contact — all of the information that has been entered in the Contact's database is automatically added to your Invoice.
For more information about filling out WinTOTAL's Order PowerView, click here.
Printing your Invoices
While your invoice is always a part of your report file, you can also print a hard copy of each invoice directly from the Appraisal Desktop without opening each report.
- Open the Appraisal Desktop and click any report whose invoice you'd like to print.
- Now click Print in the toolbar or, if you're using the Detailed File View, click the Print link beside the Last Printed date.
- In the screen that appears, mark the Print Invoice Only option and click OK.
WinTOTAL then prints the invoice from the report you selected through the default printer on your PC.
Tracking Paid/Unpaid Reports
When it comes time to track your paid and unpaid work, you need only make a quick one time configuration to your Appraisal Desktop.
- Open the Appraisal Desktop and click Options, then Edit Column Layout.
- In the window that appears, scroll down the list on the left and find Total Due.
- Click it and then click Add to add it as a column in your File Cabinet.
- The list of items on the right now shows Total Due as a column in your File Cabinet. Again, click Total Due. Then, click Up to move it up the list. For instance, you might want to place it next to your Report Description or File Number column for easy reference when you're tracking your paid and unpaid reports.
You can add other billing related columns to your File Cabinet as you see fit. For instance, instead of adding the Total Due column, you might want to add the Payment Total column.
- Now, find the Bill To Name column in the list on the left and add it like you did with the Total Due column. Be sure to place the Bill To Name column right beside the Total Due column so you can quickly see who owes you for which appraisals.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Your new billing related columns are now available in the Appraisal Desktop.
Finding your Paid & Unpaid Reports: The Fast Way
If you need to track your paid and unpaid reports and you know which folder your stored them in, you can use a quick at‑a‑glance method of reporting by sorting the reports in your File Cabinet.
- In the Appraisal Desktop, click a folder containing reports you'd like to track from the list on the left.
- Then, click either the Total Due or Bill To Name column heading in the to sort the reports in any folder by that column. If you need to reverse the sort order, click the column heading again.
All the reports in that folder will be sorted by the column you clicked for easy reference. For instance, if you clicked the Total Due column twice, you'd see all the reports in that folder listed in order of the amount due - the report with the most due first and the reports with nothing due last. And since you added the Total Due and Bill To Name columns to your File Cabinet, you can see who owes you for what without opening your reports again.
Finding your Paid & Unpaid Reports: The Detailed Way
If time isn't your main concern when you're tracking your paid and unpaid reports, you can use WinTOTAL's Advanced Find feature to get a detailed list of all outstanding invoices in just a few steps.
- In the Appraisal Desktop, click the Advanced Find link in the upper right corner.
- In the screen that appears, type the name of the client you've billed into the Bill To field. Then, type a range of amounts into the Total Due fields. For instance, if you're looking for all outstanding invoices and you aren't concerned with paid invoices, you might tell WinTOTAL to search for reports with an amount due between $1 and $1,000.
- Click Find and WinTOTAL will quickly search through your File Cabinet for unpaid reports for that client. With the Bill To Name and Total Due columns already in your File Cabinet, you can see exactly how much is left unpaid.
With this list of unpaid work on your screen, click Print in the toolbar at the top and mark the Print Reports List option to print out a hard copy of the reports and totals you see on screen.
Recording Client Payments
When you're ready to log payments from your clients, you can do so from directly within the File Cabinet. You don't even need to open or un-sign the report!
- Open the Appraisal Desktop and find a report you'd like to mark as "paid."
- Right-click the report and click Mark as Paid in the menu that appears.
- When the Mark as Paid screen appears, enter the check number of the payment in the field provided and click the Mark as Paid button to log your payment.
WinTOTAL immediately logs your payment for that report. Keep in mind that you can also log balloon payments from clients that cover multiple appraisals in your File Cabinet using this same process. Just hold Ctrl or Shift and click each of the reports you want mark as "paid." Then right-click any of those reports and follow steps 2 and 3 above, to log your balloon payment.